Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 1: The Dreadful Plane Ride

Haha, 20 hours of plane ride... 6 hours from Boston to San Francisco and 14 hours from San Francisco to Hong Kong. It wasn't that bad at all actually. I slept most of the time. Good life indeed. Sleep --> Eat --> Pee --> Sleep --> Eat --> Pee --> Sleep.
The night before my departure, I was up until 1am talking with my mom. It was all random stuff, but it was a fun talk. I think she misses me a lot because she's not going to see me for 3 months unlike going to school where I return at least once a month. My mom woke me up at 3:15 and I got all ready and left the house at 3:45am. I was so afraid that I'll be late for the plane because my dad was driving sooooo slowwwww! =3= I got to Logan Airport at 4:35am and my flight was at 6!!! The international line for United Airline was really long and I was like, omg! I'm not gonna make it! I paid $7.95 to get WiFi (I thought there were free WiFi, but I guess my mobile phone doesn't qualify) so I can attempt to check in online, but I still have to line up to send over my luggage. Thankfully, my flight was delayed and I made it in on time. My plane lifted off at 7:10am.
I don't really know what to feel. It felt kind of normal but it was my first time traveling on my own. I have never left the country on my own before. Whenever I travel, my mom was always with me. I was so worried that I cannot take care of myself when I go on a trip on my own. But turns out that it's not so bad.
The whole flight from Boston to San Francisco to Hong Kong was really smooth and I just slept most of the time. Time flied by and I find that 4 hours had already past every time I wake up. No food during the flight from Boston to San Francisco :( Which I think is really dumb how they don't feed you anymore for domestic flights anymore. I got 3 meals from SFO to HK, but they're meh... Lol, they're like a bit better than DC food and they're not really filling.
When I reached Hong Kong International Airport, I find that the SIM card that my friend lend me wasn't working in Hong Kong! I was like, Q.Q How am I suppose to contact my cousin/auntie?! Thankfully, there was free WiFi at the airport. I sent a message to my cousin over Facebook and they told me that auntie is waiting at Exit B. I did my immigration documents, picked up my luggage and found my auntie waiting for me at the exit.
I was really excited to find auntie and she was pretty excited too. I was going to give her a hug because I haven't seen her for a long time, but I guess they don't do that in Hong Kong haha... I just patted her on the back and played it off. It was kind of awkward because we haven't seen each other for a long time and I'm really bad being a topic starter. I just said random things just to try to keep it less awkward like oh the weather here is so much hotter than Boston! We've been getting a lot of rain all week! Lets sit on the 2nd deck of the bus so I can do some sight seeing!
The bus ride from the airport to their "house" is an hour away, so I tried to talk to her as much as possible. When I say house, it's not really how it is in America. When we think of house, it's like a single family house. In Hong Kong, everyone lives in HUGE buildings. My mom calls them match boxes because in every direction you look, it's just all really tall building. There's too many people in Hong Kong to have individual houses. They buy a place in these buildings and call it a house. A house can cost from $1,000,000 to $800,000,000 HKD for the size of our living room or smaller! O_O That's like crazy to us, but so normal to them. My auntie said it used to be cheaper, but people in China kept coming down and investing into all these properties that made everything really expensive.
When I got back to my family's house, cousin Wendy was waiting for me to return and watching TV. She's shy as usual and barely talked to me, but I know she's really excited that I'm visiting. :3 We had dinner together, watched TV for a little bit, I washed up and about to go to sleep. I need to adjust to my sleeping schedule so I don't die when I start going to school and internship hehe. The house just had enough room for cousin Edward, cousin Wendy and auntie so I slept with cousin Edward~ Weird, but okay haha. That's all for tonight! Good night and good morning to people in the US! ^^;
On the flight to Hong Kong! ^-^
Cute stain glass at San Francisco International Airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment