Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 25: Fun Always Come To An End QQ

Even though the rain was on and off all day, I had a blast with my new friends! I've met a couple more new people today. Josh, Cathy, Stefano, and my roommate Rodrigo arrived. I had a hard time sleeping last night. Maybe it's the lemon ice tea that I had for dinner last night and the cappuccino that I had for lunch lol... I ended up waking up at 7am partly because my roommate woke up really early and just started messing around and unpacking. But I also wasn't really in a sleeping mood.
Jarred, Calvin, Sixing, Stefano, Rodrigo, and I went out for breakfast. I had Chinese cabbage spare rib congee for HK$13! So cheap cheap cheap! But I think they forgot the spare rib haha... There wasn't any in the congee. Afterwards, we went to a 7Eleven and some people got their SIM cards for their phone. We then returned back to our dorm to get the rest of the girls because they were all still sleeping when we headed out for breakfast.
We headed back out after 30minutes and went to Central to get money exchange because Josh said they had the best exchange rate there. It was so funny because it's Sunday! Sunday is when all the filipino nannies get their day off so all of them meet up at Central to hang out with each other. Legit, it was PACKED with filipino women. No guys. Just women. We got lost a couple of times, but we found each other because we were all taller than them by a little HAHAHA... Or we look for the blonde hair (Kristen) hehe. After that, we went to Wan Chai Computer Center to get US->HK adapters because a lot of them didn't bring one. Only then that we remembered we totally forgot Stefano and Sixing when we went back to the dorm and left again! We felt so bad, but turns out they took a really long nap, so it was okay.
I wanted to explore the computer center some more, but Josh wanted to go to Pacific Place shopping center... On our way there, we got boba tea! ^^ A couple of them haven't tried taro before, so I got taro and they loved it when they tried it lol. The Pacific Place turned out to be a high class mall with everything really expensive. We just window shopped for a bit. Jarred had to go meet up with the HKU students to play Ultimate (disc) <-- Cannot say "frisbee" because frisbee is trademarked, so they have to call it disc lol.. Kind of like Keenex. Cathy had to go back to the airport to pick up her luggage because she took the wrong one with the same looking luggage case. That poor girl had to go all the way back to the dorm to pick up the case, and go all the way to the airport (about 2 1/2 hour ride from HKU to airport) and make it all the way back to HKU for orientation by 6pm.
Then mall was okay; fancy but nothing we can afford. They didn't know where to go, so Kristen was like lets go to that place that you said online! On Facebook, I recommended going to Chungking Mansion in Kowloon for exchange because I heard they had the best rate. We ended up going there and it's the sketchiest place on Earth! Haha... Everything there was fake products. It was like a whole new world where all the Mexicans, Middle Eastern, and Africans hang out... Kristen stayed here before because it's also a hostel upstairs. She stayed for a night and got scared and left because it's just that dirty and scary. Everything was extra cheap and everything was extra fake. But the currency exchange rate was really good. Kristen said lets go upstairs and try to check out a room to show us how it was like when she was staying here. The elevators had camera and they were being show on the first floor and all of us cracked up from watching people in the elevator hahahaha... When the elevator got to us, we had 6 people and another person got in. The elevator specifically said 7 people max, but I guess we were overweight. The elevator had a flashing sign saying overweight. None of us wanted to get out so Josh got into an argument with the other person that got on to get off. He was like, "Well, we were waiting at this elevator first, so you should get off." The person got really heated and said, "Well, if you want to talk that way, then I can't help you! Not all of you were in front of this elevator! I don't have to get off. You get off!" The argument went on for like a good minute before Calvin and I got off. The rest of the party got off and just went on the other elevator that went to the odd floors (we wanted to go to the 8th floor where Kristen lived). Lets just say it's the creepiest place ever and I would never live there even for a night.
We left after a little bit because we couldn't stand the place anymore. We headed to the Intercontinental Hotel which was gorgeous inside... That is where I saw the first Aston Martin ever in real life! Haha... Never seen this luxury European car ever. It cost over $200k US and it was sick looking. After that, we headed for the Kowloon harbor to get back to our dorm. When we got to the harbor, we kind of split up. Calvin and Josh went straight for the ferry terminal while Kristen, Sam, Rodrigo and I went to the bridge where it had a perfect view of the Hong Kong skyline. We were taking pictures until Josh called asking where we were. I told them we were taking pictures and will be coming over right away. I didn't want to ask him to come over because he scares me a little bit.
We took the ferry back to Central and took the bus back to HKU. Rest for a little bit and headed out to the orientation. Turns out the class that we're taking at HKU is with another summer program. We are going to take a two week class with the Global Business in Asia HKU summer program. They are then go to Shanghai to do another two week of group project and lecture taking for a total of HK$5500. We on the other hand will be doing a seven week internship instead of that 2nd half of lectures and project. I'd say our program is more awesome because we don't have to pay for living or classes or the ticket to Shanghai haha.
This is when my fun day went downhill. After the orientation, people were asking question and I got the courage to ask if we were allowed to record (voice) the lectures. All my life, people tell me, "There's no such thing as stupid questions. If you have a question, then another person probably have the same question." I never believed that bullshit but I asked it anyways. You know what the lecturer/director of Global Business in Asia said when answering me? "Well... If you went to class and paid attention, then you don't need to record it. You can record it with your brain." At first, I didn't really noticed how bad that sounds until people started giggling at his stupid response and I started to feel really bad... I don't know if he was being serious or not, but it made me felt uncomfortable. It's these kind of things that makes me shy and not ask questions. I don't like to put myself onto the spot where people would look at me and think, "Dam, what kind of question is that? That sounds stupid." because I do that to a lot of people too and I know how it feels (Sometimes, you do want to question why people ask such terrible questions, but I didn't think my question was half that bad).
Whatever. After the talk and question was over, I finally met the 4th Lenovo intern Amanda. We talked quite a bit along with a Global Business in Asia student that just graduated from high school. She's going to attend Williams College and Amanda is currently attending Williams College. They asked what I was up to tonight. I told them that my group of friends were planning to go to Lan Kwai Fong, but I don't know if I really wanted to go because I'm not really into clubbing and drinking kind of thing. I knew Josh was talking about this all day and how he wants to get some alcohol back to his dorm to get wasted sometime during this program, but I didn't know he was spreading this "activity" to everyone. Apparently, most of the people in both program ended up going. I originally didn't want to go, but after some peer pressuring, I wanted to just go check out the place and not go in any club. I changed and went down to the lobby, but I forgot my check out ID (we have to check out and check in every time we leave the dorm). I went back to and went back down as quick as possible, but I eventually missed the bus by like a split second. I watched it drive away. :| I was thinking, maybe I can meet them there at Central Station. So I took the next bus that went to Central but when I got there, everyone was gone. I walked around Central and started feeling really lonely. I was thinking "Oh, my friends in the US would never ditch me like that..." I started to miss home and miss Victoria. I looked out into the sea across to Kowloon for a bit and went back to the bus stop to take the bus back to HKU.
I got back and still had some time to burn before going to sleep, so I Skyped with my mom for a little bit and told my dad Happy Father's Day. Then I start to think to myself, maybe my grandma is protecting me. Maybe I was meant not to go to LKF. Either way, I was kind of glad I didn't really go. Even though I missed out on meeting the rest of the students, I saved some money! Haha... Most of them drank and smoked hookah (they call it shisha here).
Good night until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment