Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 26: First Day Of Class!

Weather: Icky... Heavy rain from time to time that last for about 2minutes in 5minute intervals lol...

Yucky, we had to wake up at early today so the assistants can bring us to get breakfast and then to the auditorium where we have our opening ceremony. We had to dress formal today, but turns out it was only for taking a group picture. We had a keynote speaker for the opening ceremony Professor Edward Chen, Former Vice-Chancellor of Lingnan University. He talked about the Changing Role of Asia in the Global Economy. His talk was interesting, but he kind of bashed on the European a lot. :| He talked about the development of Asia and its rapid growth. He talked about the how China and Hong Kong grew so much in the last few years. Overall, it was really interesting lol. Choosing Accounting as my major really changed me in a whole new way. When I was little, I hated everything that had to do with business or politics related. But now, I love learning about the globalization and the impact of one country can affect the whole world. How did China and Hong Kong survive the 2008 financial crisis etc. etc. The talk was also on that as well as our lecture in the afternoon.
The program provided really fancy lunch for us, but the steak I got was half perfectly cooked and the other half completely raw on the inside haha...
After lunch, we had our first class of the program! China Economy 1, though we were just learning about Hong Kong first. I also found this really interesting! :D The macroeconomics of Hong Kong, hehe. Like I always say, I liked macro over micro, so it's all good! We see a huge trend of success and downturn of Hong Kong and how Hong Kong survived with nothing (no natural resources, no raw materials, no nothing)! Hong Kong sustained from import and export and becoming a service center for the international trading hub between Southern China and the rest of the world! :)
After class, the assistants took us around campus, but I was completely lost because we were using all these shortcuts around the school to get to the main locations. We were zigging zagging around, so I completely lost track of directions. lol... Most of the students didn't even pay attention, so myah.
After the tour, we all headed back to our dorms. The assistants wanted to go out even though it's a Monday night. ._." I guess it's normal. They're just university students like us. But it's so bad because they like to drink and shisha... Ugh, it's gonna be so bad because they're into things that I'm not a fan of. A lot of the students in this program are like trying new things to fit in lol... It's so bad... I ended up just hanging out in my room for the rest of the night. They went our to shisha. I guess I can still connect with students before and after class. I don't necessarily have to meet them all. I already met a good amount of them and they're all really awesome from all over the world. :)
I'm glad that most of the students have the mindset to save money and eat cheaper, lol. My mom was afraid that if I hold on to my money, people would say that I'm a cheapskate, but I think we're all just trying to save money. We ended up eating dinner at the school canteen (cafeteria). Pretty nice price for fried rice and noodles. HK$25~$35 per plate of food. :]
Until then, good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment